Charles Page Monument 

City of Sand Springs, Oklahoma

HISTORIC OVERVIEW

After Treatment: Charles Page MemorialThe stone and bronze memorial was erected in memory of Charles E. Page, business man, philanthropist, and founder of Sand Springs. Between the years of 1902 to 1905, Page drilled for and struck oil in various locations throughout Oklahoma earning him his fortune. Less than a year later he purchased and surveyed land near Tulsa and over the next sixteen years he convinced friends and businesses to settle the City of Sand Springs. In an attempt to draw businesses to the area, he established the Sand Springs Power, Water, and Light Company attracting manufacturers, refineries, and dozens of smaller industries. He also established the Sand Springs Railroad, an electric inter-urban transit system that connected Tulsa with the new town, its lake and amusement park. He founded the Sand Springs State Bank and the city hospital, and in 1909 he established the Sand Springs Orphan Children's Home and Widows' Colony, which he eventually supported under corporate income. By the 1920s, Sand Springs was hailed as the industrial center of Oklahoma. Page died in 1926. His wife subsequently funded a memorial library and monument sculptured by Loredo Taft in honor of her husband's accomplishments.

PRE-TREATMENT CONDITION

Before Patina & Hot WaxThe cast bronze was found to be structurally stable; however, most of the original burnished surfaces and patination had been lost to corrosion caused by acidic airborne pollutants and rainfall. Protected areas of bronze reveal remnants of a dark brown patination which appears to be original to the date of fabrication. All exposed surfaces were covered with pale blue-green copper sulfate corrosion. Minor areas of graffiti were found on both bronze and granite surfaces. Numerous small chips and losses were observed along the edges of the cut granite blocks. Settling of the monument footing had caused minor shifting of the stone fracturing the mortar grout.

 

TREATMENT

After Patina & Hot WaxThe sculpture was washed using a medium pressure not exceeding 3500 psi. Graffiti was reduced using both mechanical and chemical methods. Bronze figures were re-patinated to replicate the original surface color observed in the protected areas of the sculpture. Upon thorough drying, the bronze components were hot waxed using a mixture of micro-crystalline waxes. The sculpture was then given two applications of cold wax and buffed using soft cotton cloths. The deteriorated grout was mechanically removed and replaced with color matched Jahn Restoration Mortars.